Epoxy means class of materials and the way of using these materials. Epoxy material are combinations of resins and hardeners. The final product is strong, resistant and bonds well with base layers. Epoxy flooring is sought-after by individuals mostly because it forms a very rigid plastic which is not only durable but also strong and bonds very well to the base layer. However, proper repairing should also be given due consideration.
3 Methods That Can Be Used in Epoxy Floor Repair
#1. Fix the bubbles in the floor: A rotator scrubber and sandpaper can be used to sand the bubbles. You can rent these machines for a day or week. Sanding makes the bubbles smooth and thus make it easier to apply a fresh coat.
- A sand blaster can be used when the bubbles are spread throughout the floor. It shoots silica that is ground finely. Before starting the epoxy floor repair process, make sure the blaster is filled with adequate amount of silica.
- You can vacuum the dust accumulated and then wipe it with a solvent dipped clean cloth. For best results opt for a concentrated degreaser that is specifically used for epoxy floor repair.
- Cover the surface with another coating of epoxy
#2. Repairing a floor that is peeling off: A paint scraper can be used to scrape the epoxy that is peeling away. If the coat is not coming off, move the scraper to and for to loosen the epoxy.
- A palm sander along with a 60-grit sandpaper can be used if the epoxy floor repair is to be done in a small area. The epoxy will not peel away in the future if the floor is sanded properly.
- If the damage is on a larger area, you will need a floor buffer and 100-grit sandpaper
- A vacuum cleaner can be used to vacuum the residue lumps. This is usually required if you have used a hand sander or floor buffer.
- A clean rag can be used to wipe the floor. Dip the rag in denatured alcohol. The rag should be saturated and not drip alcohol.
- Mix the new batch after the epoxy floor repair and then do as instructed. It arrives in 2 pre-determined parts and should be mixed entirely.
- Apply the epoxy mixture on the floor again. Keep the roller wet throughout the epoxy floor repair process. If the roller becomes dry, application will be uneven.
- Let the mixture dry for 24 hours. Go ahead and apply another coat when the floor is dry.
- Do not forget to apply another coat of epoxy to avoid peeling. The top coat is clear and thus harder to look at. Try to apply a third coat as this ensures that the epoxy will not peel off anymore.
#3. Discoloration problems: To hide previous blotches, you can apply tinted sealer on the floor. All home supply stores have colored sealers that are premixed. There is a predetermined set of colors for you to select from.
- To darken patches that are light, try to apply water-based stain. Any darker stain such as brown, gray can be used. If there are certain spots left, you can touch it up with more stain.
- Make sure that the sealer is completely dry. To ensure this let it sit for 4 to 10 hours. Adding another coat of colour will only darken the area. So be sure before adding another layer of epoxy.
- If the area is discolored beyond your capabilities, hire a professional. A hired professional might ask you to apply a micro topping for colouring the concrete.
Therefore, what are even waiting for? Start with the epoxy floor repair already lest the damage increases and causes you to spend a hefty load of cash. If you feel doing it yourself won’t be a good idea take professional’s help.